Wednesday, August 11, 2010

more cooking!

Since I had some time this evening, I decided to also cook my lunch AND dinner for tomorrow.  I have plans after work at 7 tomorrow right near my office, so I figured packing lunch and dinner would work out well!  For lunch tomorrow, I'm having Baked Asparagus and Couscous.  This recipe was beyond simple.  Throw everything in a casserole dish, toss it in the oven, and that's it!  The only snag: I couldn't find cream of asparagus soup!  So, I had to substitute cream of chicken soup.
I forgot to take a picture before I started covering this in the bread crumbs, so in this photo you can see it half covered, half uncovered!
I also decided to have a little taste test, and I can report that this is quite good!  Baked asparagus is so yummy, and the couscous and bread crumbs make it very savory.

The second meal I cooked tonight was Chicken-Tortilla Casserole.  Can you tell I had been craving Mexican flavors when I made my grocery list? :-)  First, I mixed together soup, chiles, sour cream, and milk.  Then I added in chicken, torn-up tortillas, bell pepper, tomato, and shredded cheese.  I substituted whole-wheat tortillas for corn tortillas, since that's what I bought for the enchilada and quesadilla I made earlir this week.  The pictures didn't turn out great but the creamy goodness looked tasty in person, I swear!
After mixing this up, I put it in a pan and baked it for about 40 minute, covered.
Then I uncovered the casserole, topped it with cheese, and baked it about 8 minutes longer.  Looks so cheesy and delicious!
I mixed it up and took a bite.
Verdict: Very cheesy! (I heart cheese).  Great flavors - I think I can thank the chopped green chiles for that.  But, this casserole is quite soupy!  Maybe it needed more time in the oven, maybe it needed less milk/etc.  Who knows.  Won't stop me from enjoying it this time around :-)  Early morning run with M tomorrow - so it's time to clean up and get ready for bed!

1 comment: