Friday, August 6, 2010

i'm in love...

... with the treadmill!  Haha, maybe. I've never been much of a treadmill user.  I've probably been on a treadmill less than 30 times in my life, and 20 of those times were to speed walk on an incline.  Whether it was for wakling or running, though, I have never been a big fan.  I always felt like my plantar fasciitis acted up more on a treadmill.  It only took about 5 minutes before I was in too much pain to keep going.

To be fair, I've also never been able to run very far without significant pain until this spring when M and I began to run.  So, I decided it was time to give it another try.  I have to say, I might be in love.  It started out rough: I picked a treadmill with a subpar view of the TV and didn't bring my iPod.  After a 4-5 minute warm up at speed 5.5 (10:54 minute miles) I decided I needed a different treadmills.  I found one right in front of ESPN and settled in to watch the ESPYs!  I did another 6 minutes at 5.5 and then ramped it up to 6.0 (10 minute miles!).  In my head, I thought, ok I'll do this for 1 mile and then slow back down again.  But I was feeling GREAT - so I stuck at the 6.0 for 15 minutes and then ramped it up to 6.3 (9:31 min/miles)!  I stayed there for about 5 minutes and then thought I would slow down to 6.0, but I accidentally pressed the big "STOP" button.  Oops.  I immediately started up again, and this time decided to push myself and went all the way up to 6.7 (8:57 min/miles).  I could only maintain it for about 1 minute before I wanted to die, so I tamed it back down to 10:00 miles to finish out my run (about 4 more minutes).  Not counting my 4-5 minute warm up on the other treadmill, I went 3 miles without stopping (well, without stopping on purpose.. whatever)!! Which means I actually RAN 3.4ish!  I then pressed the 'cool down' button on the treadmill which did 3 one minute intervals at successively slower paces... first 4.5 (13:20) then 4.0 (15:00) and finally 3.5 (17:08).  As I cooled down I realized that trying to walk on the treadmill actually makes my feet hurt more than running on it... not sure why.

We'll see how sore I am tomorrow, but right now I'm feeling AWESOME.  I really needed a good run too - after my crappy run Monday and then being sick and not working out most of the week, I was really feeling down about my running ability.  But now I'm a superstar - I averaged just over 10 minute miles for over THREE MILES.  Which means even if I've missed a few runs in the past two weeks, fitness-wise I'm on track.

I'm hoping to squeeze in a run on Sunday morning before I head back home.  After that I should be able to get back into the swing of things with both cooking and running... but for now I'm going to have some take out Thai food! YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment