Thursday, August 19, 2010

a day of delicious PORK!

Well, just after complaining this morning about how bland my recent recipes have been, I hit two home runs in a row!  For lunch, I had Pork, Onion, and Pepper Fajitas.  First step was to make the marinade and let the pork sit overnight.
Then, this morning, I cooked the pork in a pan fore a few minutes before adding in the peppers and onions.
The recipe didn't specify what color bell pepper, so I went with orange and red.  I'm not really a fan of green pepper, so I tend to pick any other color.  For the first time ever, I have to say, I think green bell pepper would have made this recipe even better!  Hmm.
When looking over this recipe, my first thought was "Mexican food without melty cheese?  Can't be good."  See, I'm pretty much in love with cheese - so I can't imagine why you would ever leave cheese out of a recipe, particularly one with Mexican flavors.  But, I'm trying to stick to the recipes as closely as possible, so I reluctantly left the cheese out.
I have to say, I was 100% wrong.  This recipe was delicious without the cheese - and dare I say that I think cheese would have made it LESS enjoyable?  Who knows.  There was a suggestion on the page to add cilantro with sour cream + salsa... I skipped out on the sour cream and salsa, but I did add in the cilantro.
The combination of cilantro and lime juice is fan-freaking-tastic.  Yum yum yum.  I took my lunch to work and then constructed the fajita there at lunch time.  YAY delicious, flavorful lunch!

While I was at work, my dinner was cooking for me nice and slowly.  Before I left, I put butternut squash and pork into my crockpot.
I also mixed orange marmalade with finely chopped garlic...
... and poured it over the pork!  Then, I set the slow cooker for about 6 hours and left.
I came home to some very tender Orange Pork Tenderloin with Butternut Squash.
I realize now that I forgot to sprinkle salt on the squash.  Oops!  No worries, this turned out great.  Orange marmalade is often too sweet for me, but the garlic balanced it out and this dinner totally hit the spot!
And so you have it - two delicious recipes to make up for yesterday's blandness :-)  Hopefully tomorrow is another hit!  Time to get ready to watch Project Runway with the girls and ice my shins... they are definitely sore after today's run!
If you are a PR fan, who are your favorite designers so far this season?

No comments:

Post a Comment