Wednesday, June 9, 2010

short runs & delicious dinner

Today I had lunch at one of my favorite lunch spots - Baba Ghannouj.  I freaking love gyros! And tzatziki sauce!  Yum.  That is all I have to say about that, haha. (Oh and no, no one pays me to say anything, nor do they give me anything discounted or free.  I wish.)

I just finished dinner, and oh man, all I want is to eat more more more!  I made beef teriyaki stir-fir.  So far, I have to say that the Asian recipes in this book are fabulous!  I was a little weary about how good a teriyaki could be with ground beef, but it was quite good!  I had also never bought or prepared bok choy before, and that made me nervous!  I tried a bite of it raw and wasn't excited, but once cooked and sauteed in teriyaki sauce it was great!  Even though I'm full, I totally wish I could have another plate full.
Back tracking in my day, before dinner M and I went for a shorter run.  We decided to do 2 minute walking, 10 minute running, 3x.  The second 10 minutes I thought I was going to die, but the 1st and 3rd were pretty good!  I also didn't feel sore or tense at ALL after running (usually when I stretch after my muscles are screaming at me and very tight/tense), which made me wonder if doing 30 minutes vs 45 minutes sometimes might help.  We decided to start going 3x a week instead of just 2x, so I suggested we do 2 shorter runs (e.g. 30 minutes) during the week and one longer (45-60 minute) run on the weekend.  We'll see how that goes.  Anyway, today we made it 2.93 miles in 36 minutes for an average pace of 12:17 minute miles.  We both felt really good after, and either Friday or Saturday we might try doing that but 4x, with a longer break to stretch in the middle.  I'm so excited about our progress!  Now that I know we can run for 10 minutes I feel super motivated to stick with that and push us into running longer lengths, but I still want to keep doing some interval training, since so many people rave about how great it is!  We are still brainstorming about how to keep a good balance and what that looks like - suggestions welcome!

I also made myself lunch for tomorrow but I think it's a total flop.  I made a Garden Vegetable Frittata.  Basically, it's just a bunch of vegetables chopped up and cooked with egg over them.  Except I guess I'm bad at whisking eggs, because the top of  the frittata definitely has parts of egg white and other parts of eggy yellow.  It also looks REALLY eggy, and I don't even like eggs that much.  Ugh.
Needless to say, I'm not excited about lunch tomorrow.  Slash, how is cooked eggs + vegetables a lunch?  No meat, no bread/pasta/rice?  Blehh.  I at least get to melt cheese on the top of this (says the recipe, not just my obsession with cheese).  Anyway, that's it for today - I'll let you know how the frittata is... and what I end up packing to go along with it and make it more exciting!

1 comment:

  1. OMG. I flipping loooove gyros! I've never been to Baba Ghannouj. Obvi I need to go now. Siiiigh, I do miss the best gyros at the alma mater though.

    Also, amazing job on running 10 minutes! That is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete