Thursday, September 30, 2010

good runner, bad blogger.

Oh man, school and life have been hectic lately, leaving less time for blogging.  But I have been running!  This week started M and I's 10k training program.  Tuesday morning started with a 2.5 mile run.  I was trying my best to push us to go fast.  When we got to where I thought was about 1 mile and my watch said 11:40something, I was so upset... if this was pushing myself to run fast, I was in trouble!  Alas, after a quick break to stretch (I was still pretty sore from Sunday's race!) we pushed on.  When we finally got to the 2.5 mile mark, my watch read 26:27 - hooray!  I was actually wrong about where the 1 mile mark is on our run, and we ended up averaging 10:35 miles.  I was so proud of us!  It was definitely challenging, but also something I think I can keep up.
In between my running and other activities, I haven't done as much cooking as I would have liked.  I had lots of leftovers to enjoy, and last night I just never got in the mood do make a real dinner... oops!  But, Tuesday I made an Italian Garden Frittata. The star of the show was zucchini, and the dish was topped with mushrooms.
I generally don't like eggs - they've been making my stomach hurt over the past year-ish... so I was a little skeptical of how this would go.  But, I used egg beaters instead and I think that totally helped.  Still not loving the egg-y flavor, but it was decent!
This morning it was ridiculously muggy and humid outside, and also a little rainy.  We've been lucky and not had to run in the rain yet, which I realize we will have to face at some point.  But today it just was not in the cards.  We headed to M's gym and got onto treadmills.  We only had two miles to go, and it zipped by!  When I'm on the treadmill, I like to warm up at a nice easy pace (like 11:30-12:00 minute miles) and then slowly increase my pace over time.  I like "getting used to" a pace and then pushing myself just a liiiitle bit more.  So that's exactly what I did!  I finished my 2.07 miles in 22:21 for an average pace of 10:48.  I probably should have made myself speed up earlier (M did most of her run at a 10 minute mile pace and then slowly sped up with me), but I felt great after this run... I flipping LOVE the treadmill!  For all of my readers that are also runners, how often do you use the treadmill vs. running outside?  How do you think this affects your training?  Any recommendations for balancing TM use with outdoor running?

No comments:

Post a Comment