Saturday, September 25, 2010

Latin-Inspired Friday Food

Yesterday, for both lunch and dinner, I had Latin inspired food.  Lunch was Mexican: I had a Spinach Bean Tostada.  I didn't really know what a tostada was before making this, but my impression now is that it's basically a pizza on a tortilla.  YUM! First, I cooked veggies in a skillet for a few minutes until the spinach was wilty...

Then I basically made a pizza of refried beans, veggies, salsa, and cheese on a tortilla!
The only thing I didn't love about the recipe is that it directs you to cut the onion and bell pepper into 1 1/2 inch strips.  Those are big strips to put on a pizza!  I think it would have been much better if they were chopped up very small :-)

For dinner, I went Cuban and made Cuban Black Beans and Rice.  This was an interesting recipe.  The black bean sauce mixture was delicious - onion, pepper, carrots, orange juice, tomatoes, and spices.
Then, I added black beans and was instructed to blend part of the bean mixture?  I ended up blending all of it, and don't really understand what the point of that was.  Maybe blending the mix BEFORE adding the beans would have made more sense?  Oh well.  It still turned out pretty decent - served with brown rice and lime.  I was supposed to put plain yogurt on top, but I don't LOVE yogurt so I skipped that part.

Today, although I had meals planned, turned into a leftovers day.  I had plenty of leftover polenta, so I decided to reheat some of it for lunch.  Then for dinner, I was all ready to cook one of my two recipes left for vegetarian week, but I was seriously craving a second tostada.  So that is what is currently in my oven!

Tomorrow, M and I are running our FIRST RACE: a 5K in Chapel Hill.  I'm both excited and nervous.  Wish me luck and look forward to a recap some time tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment