Friday, August 19, 2011

sometimes, I cook.

Thanks for the comments on ice baths!  I'll definitely grab a magazine or a book next time, Danielle :-)  I wasn't actually all that sore after my 7 mile run, so I'm not sure it was totally necessary but I guess it can't hurt!  Actually, I tend to be way more sore after speed work than I am after long runs... I wonder if I should try my next ice bath after speed work, even if it's only a short distance? We'll see.

By sometimes I cook, I mean like 3-4 times a week easily.  It's just that my cooking has gotten... boring.

It's not my fault, seriously.  My fiance moved in with me, and while I love every minute of sharing my life with him, cooking for him is not so fun.  He is the epitome of a meat and potatoes boy.  He likes most meat, but not fish.  He likes most starches, if they aren't too crazy (white or brown rice, pasta, potatoes = good.  sweet potatoes, couscous, wild rice = no thanks).  And he eats basically NO VEGETABLES.  Seriously.  Vegetables he likes: corn, lettuce, cucumber, carrots, green beans.  Vegetables he tolerates sometimes: onions and peas.  Vegetables he dislikes: broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, mushrooms, peppers of any kind, zucchini, squash, tomatoes, olives.
So, it's definitely been limiting in what I cook.  I know I can make things he doesn't like, but I feel silly cooking for myself and letting him fend for himself.  So I often will cook us a fairly plain dinner and then steam whatever vegetable I'd like on the side.  It works well enough - but I have a really hard time experimenting with fun new dishes... it seems like everything has either a flavor or a vegetable that he dislikes.
Anyway, here are a few examples of what I've made lately :-)

Mini cheesy meatloafs, before I cooked them

 Meatloaf and mashed potatoes (Scott's plate - mine had veggies too, haha)

 Chicken tamale casserole... sooo delicious!

Both of the above were from Cooking Light's website, and both turned out well!  I loooved the chicken tamale casserole, but the chopped green chiles in the cornmeal crust were too spicy for Scott.  I got so many cookbooks over the holidays, so I definitely will try to cook some new things and post about them soon!  Happy weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment