Wednesday, August 17, 2011

i'm still heeerreeee....

I miss blogging.

I have (mostly) accepted that I don't have the time to have the blog that I ideally envision: daily posts, frequent new recipes, recaps on races, details about training/workouts, etc.  But I would like to do SOME blogging.

So where should I pick up?  When I started this blog, my goal was to cook 300 recipes in about one year, and to go from not being a runner whatsoever to running the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler.  In approximately 8 months, I cooked 175 new things.  I'm still cooking.  That will have to be another post entirely.  As for running, I successfully completed my race - although my training wasn't as stellar as it could have been.

I should PROBABLY do a Cherry Blossom 10 Miler recap.  I'll add that to my to-do list.  For now, suffice to say I finished in 2:02, I couldn't walk for a day or two after, and it got me totally addicted to running.

So, RUNNING!  M and I spent the spring/early summer trying to become more consistent with our runs - you know, 3-4 times a week, not bailing just because we wanted to sleep in, etc., and then signed up for a half marathon for mid October.  I'm SUPER EXCITED for the half marathon, and am quite determined to do a better job training this time around.  Right now we are running four times a week.  Three of those runs are shorter: between 2.5 and 4 miles (we might get up to 5 closer to the race), and we usually try to incorporate speedwork into one of those runs.  Then we have long runs once a week, which started at 4 miles and will work their way up to 12 before the race.  Last week we ran 6.5 miles and it was actually not that painful AT ALL!  This week we have 7ish to conquer, and I'm pumped.  Or rather, I was pumped until we did a fartlek today.  Now my legs are sore and I want to never run again.  Sore as in, I'm up 1.5 hours past my bedtime because my legs ache so I can't fall asleep.  Oops.  I kind of want to experiment with an ice bath.  Are they only effective right after a run?  Also, how long do your long runs have to be before taking an ice bath is worthwhile?  And should I buy a foam roller?

Running has gotten so much better over the past few months.  I definitely had a time before the 10 miler where I told M that after the race, I was quitting running, because I hated it.  And I meant it.  But finally something clicked and running is starting to be way more fun for me.  I mean, the first 5-10 minutes are never fun because it's usually 7:30am, I'm half asleep, and my legs aren't warmed up yet.  But I can finally say there are moments (although they are often brief) during almost all of my runs where I genuinely enjoy myself.  Weird.

I'm also trying to get on board with that whole cross-training thing.  Apparently it prevents injury?  Also, (although I seldom blogged about this, nor do I intend to) I like myself more on days I exercise.  I'm also trying weight lifting.  I'm getting married in just over 6 months and I want my arms to look spectacular in my strapless dress.  Hooray motivation!  So far, cross-training is rough.  The elliptical is boring.  The bike is boring.  Spin class is at inconvenient times.  I feel like a klutz in the weight room.  But, a year and a half ago I felt like an idiot when I went running too, so I know it'll get better.

I think that's about all for my "first post back."  I do hope to be more regular in my blogging... but who knows with school/etc. if that will happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment