Monday, October 31, 2011

post-half-marathon thoughts

So, sure, the race was a full two weeks ago, but I'm still going to recap all my thoughts about the race for you, because it's a running blog, and I do what I want.  Also I have more pictures to share, because me in the same outfit sweating is obviously what you were hoping to see here today.  In no particular order, I hope you enjoy the rambling below:

  • I am such a baller.  I can't believe how fast I ran.  Okay, yes, I'm bragging, but also... this was a revelation, because as you might know from prior entries, I'm generally real slow.  To know that I can run a half at a 10:11 pace suggests  I can do things I never thought imaginable.  Maybe I could run my next half in under 2:10.  One day, I might even break 2:00.  That sounds insane and amazing all at once.  ... and of course this generalizes to other (shorter) distances.  If I can run a 10:11 pace for 13.1 miles, how fast do you think I could run a 5k/5 miler/10k/15k/10 miler? Oh the possibilities!  (Time to get serious about speed work?)
  • I must do another half.  Followed by several more.  I'm currently in search of a half to run in the spring, but I'm having trouble finding one that is at a convenient time for me (read: one that I can run without having a long run the same week of my wedding).  Still pondering.  Also want to do the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler again... so with all that going on, I'm not sure when the next half will be.  But no worries: there WILL be a next half.
 mile 5, courtesy of Devin
  • Despite many people suggesting that after a half, I would want to run a full marathon, I don't.  Sorry.  Running for 2 hours and 15 minutes? Fine.  Running for 3 hours? Ummm, maybe.  Running for 4+ hours? No thanks.  It's not that I don't believe I am capable of running a marathon.  It's mostly that I don't have the time to train.  Plus, that running for that long doesn't sound fun.
  • Speaking of fun, I can finally say with confidence that I find running to be more fun than it is not fun.  Obviously not every minute of every run is fun, but I definitely think I like it more than 50% of the time.  It took somewhere between 12 and 18 months of consistent running for me to feel that way.  So, if you don't like running, try going at least 3 times per week for a year, and then let me know how you feel, haha!
somewhere between miles 9 and 11
  • I think my style with races is the bigger the better.  I like the excitement, having other people around, and having at least somewhat of a crowd.  The 2 races I have run with less than 200 participants have been my least favorite, and the 2 with ~1,800 and ~15,000 have been much more enjoyable.  This shouldn't be a shocking revelation (and I'm sure a lot of people feel the same way), but it will definitely influence what races I sign up for in the future.
  • Lastly, you might be wondering what's next for me?  Well, that was decided even BEFORE the half had ended.  I've already signed up for the Hot Chocolate 15K in Washington, DC.  M is signed up, and so is Susan!  Actually, a ton of friends are signed up - I know at least 7 people doing the 15k (including myself) and another 7+ doing the 5k!  It's going to be a blast!  M and I have already started our training program, and I'm REALLY pumped about this race!  Hot chocolate and a chocolate fountain at the end?  WIN.
mile 11.5ish - perfecting the jazz hands

I want to give a shout out to my sorority sister Danielle who just started a running blog!  Danielle wants to run a marathon in every state.  This makes her insane, but it also makes for a fun blog I think, so go check out her blog!
 most attractive photo ever taken of me, woo!

right after M finished!

So blogland, I'm taking suggestions for half marathons to run in 2012 - sometime in April or beyond.  Preferably within driving distance of Durham.  Oh and it can't be April 21st or 28th weekends.  Or May 19th weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out! Your blog is in my favorite links :) Those salted caramel bars sound amaaazzziinnnng btw!

    ReplyDelete