Friday, January 14, 2011

chicken enchilada pie

Wednesday was my first night back in my own kitchen, and so after stocking up on groceries I was very excited to get cooking!  I was craving Mexican food when I made the grocery list, so I decided to try Chicken Enchilada Pie.  First, I made the filling of chicken, enchilada sauce, and green chiles.  I actually didn't have quite enough enchilada sauce so I added in some salsa as well.
Next I worked on making the crust.  Betty Crocker loooves her Bisquick, and this was pretty basic; egg, milk, and Bisquick.
But then, a slight twist.  The corn for the recipe was mixed into the batter to become part of the crust - not part of the pie filling.  Interestingg.
Kind of looks like cream of corn soup, right?  Anyway, I baked this sucker for about 27 minutes and then was puzzled by the next instruction: Put shredded cheese on top and let it sit for 5 minutes.

I just did not believe that the cheese was going to melt simply by sitting on top of the pie.  No. Way.
I was wrong.  I was so excited about how perfectly melted the cheese on top was!

This dish is fairly spicy, but I really enjoyed it and it definitely helped with my Mexican food cravings!

Happy Friday, by the way :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment