Thursday, January 3, 2013

"i think you wore out the roomie"

I totally wrote this post and planned to put it up before Christmas... but then I forgot.  So, here is a belated recap of Susan's visit to Durham!
Roomie, don't kill me!
Last weekend/week, my other half came to visit me in Durham for a few days.  She flew in on Saturday morning, and our first stop was to the dtownMARKET, holiday style, at Fullsteam/Motorco.  We worked up an appetite shopping while I found a few Christmas gifts for friends/family, and then we grabbed lunch from KoKyu, the Korean BBQ food truck.  Then we split an ice cream sandwich from The Parlour (salted butter caramel ice cream in between chocolate chip cookies).  YUM!
After lunch/shopping we headed back to my place to relax a little bit before dinner time.  Then Scott, Susan and I headed to Bull City Burger for burgers & beers - Susan got the pimento burger, Scott got the over easy burger, and I got the bacon & blue burger.  Everyone was quite satisfied.  Susan commented that she wasn't aware Durham was so hipster-y.  Yes, yes it is.  To prove to her that Durham isn't all hipsters, we met some grad school friends at Alivia's for drinks.
On Sunday, we ran 7 miles, over to west and central campus and back.  My ankle (shin?) hurt at the beginnig but after stretching it got better.  My knee was fine until the last half mile, and then it hurt a lot.  Then we had lunch at Rue Cler (where I always get duck confit) with Sarah, Josh, and Annabel.
After brunch, we immediatly headed to Tobacco Road to watch the Redskins game and the Bears game with some other friends.  Sadly, the Bears lost, but the Redskins won, and Susan and I re-took our football jersey photo - a classic.
After the games we headed back to my place and let Susan nap (JK I napped too).  Sunday night we grabbed Nana Taco for dinner and watched the Patriots... awful game... and then headed to bed!  Monday morning we went on a 5 mile run with Marissa.  My knee kinda hurt, but I managed to survive.  We got Foster's for lunch (portabello sandwhich for the win) and then headed to the Tanger Outlets, where I spent way too much money... but mostly on presents for other people!  After working up an appetite shopping, we picked up Marissa for dinner at The Pit in Raleigh.  The Pit is probably the best BBQ I have ever had.  We started with Pimento cheese balls and way too many hush puppies... yum.  Then I got pulled pork with mac and cheese and fried okra as my meal.  At the pit, they have Eastern and Western BBQ sauce.  Most people I know seem to prefer Western, which I like (it's more tomato-based), but I loooove the Eastern (vinegar-based and has more of a kick).  Marissa got tofu, and it was so good she thought it was chicken and made me try it!  It was definitely tofu - but the best tofu I've ever tasted!
We dropped off Marissa and then found the Christmas lights I mentioed in my last post - so cool!  Tuesday morning she flew out, bummer, but it was a super fun visit!  So, in summary:  We ran all the miles.  We ate all the food.  We shopped all the places.  I think I wore her out!

1 comment:

  1. So much fun in Durham!! And yes, you definitely wore me out...but that food was delicious and great to see you, as always. s^2forlife

    ReplyDelete