Tuesday, October 23, 2012

weekly training update #9 and baked apples

There are oh-so-many things I love about fall, and one of them is baked apple deliciousness.  Granted apple pie might be at the top of the list, but a girl doesn't always have time to bake a pie.  So recently when I found myself with several apples on hand, I couldn't stop thinking about how much better they would be baked than raw as a side dish to my lunch.

I combined various aspects of all of these recipes to try and used:

  • 3 apples
  • A heavy sprinkle of cinnamon
  • About 3-4 tsp brown sugar
  • A dash of vanilla extract
  • About 1 tsp of molasses
  • About 3 tsp honey
I used my apple corer to slice the apples, and then cut them up a little smaller.
I mixed everything together in a baking casserole and baked at 350 for 30 minutes.
This turned out well and was a good mix of a sweet dessert and a healthy snack.  It was also ridiculously easy!

Onto the running update.  This week was not so great.  Between too much work and too much fun, I didn't 

 even do my long run.  Bad Sara!  Hopefully this doesn't have a significant impact on my training.  I have this weird sense that I'm teetering between hard training that results in soreness and injury, so I've been kind of skiddish about running lately.  I hope I'm just being paranoid, but I've experienced at least some pain on most of my runs recently.  LAME.  Hopefully ice, foam rolling, and stretching will help.  I'm also considering whether or not compression sleeves might help - sometimes the pain is like the beginning stages of shin splints... my right knee has also been achy... gah, who knows!  Anyway, onto the recaps:

Monday 10/15: 3 miles on the treadmill, since there was thunder/rain/potentially hail.  i think my average pace was sub 10, but I honestly don't know.
Tuesday 10/16: strength training + spin class
Wednesday 10/17: 3.1 miles outside, avg. pace 9:53 - felt good about this one! kind of speed work but not totally?
Thursday 10/18: rest - i was worn out (not even from running, just more from school), so i restd
Friday 10/19: rest - planned to do my 10 miler but i didn't have time (work? psh)
Saturday 10/20: 3.1 miles with sabrina! (i guess this makes up for thursday's easy run that i skipped?)
Sunday 10/21: rest - also thought maybe i'd do my 10 miler, but it didn't happen

No comments:

Post a Comment